Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Distraction, but the Project Continues

Hello again!
I told myself I would post weekly about the project at hand, and other random rental related things.  However, I have been a bit distracted with another property, and have been digging through state laws concerning rental abandonment.

Why you ask...

Here is a brief summary of the last two weeks.  Tenant is behind on rent and admits he will not be able to catch up.  Because I am a nice guy (remember in an earlier post about me trying to be nice?  Obviously I forgot that comment from a couple weeks ago) I agreed to give him 10 days to move out.  I did not serve an eviction notice, or anything like that since he has been very upfront with things and easy to deal with.
I spoke with him 2 days later, he said he would be out sooner than 10 days.  The next day he quit communicating with me, and 10 days came and went.  I went to the townhouse to get it ready to re-rent, but the majority of his stuff was still there, including a car, couch, clothes, etc....  His family said he quit communicating with them and he disappeared.  I left a warning, talked to the Justice Court, Constable, etc... to find out a proper, legal way of handling things.  Long story short he re-appeared and is moving out completely today.  Very weird situation.  Plus, he is considering giving me the car I mentioned as payment for past rent.  We will see how that turns out.  There were a whole bunch of other details I left out to avoid boring myself, but you get the idea.

The positive that came from this... I know much more about the state's landlord/tenant laws and a more efficient way to deal with similar situations.  I could not be a lawyer....very bad and confusing grammar.

Anywho....

Not much to add about the project house, other than we just got a new roof put on (thankfully insurance covered that cost).  Primer is complete on the outside, but we still need to remove the exterior window shades and do a final coat of paint on the outside.  We are also in the process of replacing a support beam that was rotten and causing the house to sag in the back (I know what that's like, haha!).

Below are some new pictures.  The first few are of the interior, but we forgot to take pictures before we cleaned the house some.  So, believe it or not, this is after some major cleaning.

Btw, I can't get this thing to allow me to rearrange the pictures without me having a stroke....so enjoy the long, single-file column of pics!

We have many broken windows panes that we are in the process of replacing.  Just one in this window, but the dining room has all 16 panes broken out by some folks that need to visit a church sometime.

We have determined by evidence left behind that the previous inhabitants busted the holes in the wall then covered it with plastic.  Plus, the camera does not pick up how filthy the walls, switches, etc... were.  How do people live like that?!?


Ceiling collapsed due to roof leak.



When I say they took everything, I mean EVERYTHING....

....Including the kitchen sink.

Now for some pictures of progress.  Below are shots of more primer on the exterior trim, new roof going on, and the beginning of exterior wood work.








As long as no more distractions come up we hope to move faster and make more noticeable progress over the next few weeks.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you two and all the work you're doing!=)

    ReplyDelete